IT Organizational Transformation
1. Performance Objectives
The initial step in the process is to establish IT department performance objectives. For example, to reduce costs by achieving the same service with less people; achieve higher productivity within the existing IT cost structure; or some selective combination of both.
2. Staff Fit
Once the “right” priorities have been established, we determine the capability of current staff and whether they are correctly organized with the proper governance and policies and procedures. Specific recommendations are made. Once certain agreements are reached, a next-stage action plan is provided.
3. Establish Self Sufficiency
Our unique goal, which is intentionally different from other consulting firms, is to make the client organization self-sufficient as quickly as possible. So once transformation is complete and formalities documented and templated, our engagement is over.
IT Management Services
- Turnaround/Improvement for companies wishing to build a higher performing IT organization as quickly as possible.
- Management Oversight for Portfolio Companies that require a higher level of IT management, preferably on a part-time basis.
Client believes their firm needs an entire IT makeover. To eliminate corporate waste, our resource model initially assigns a PIP professional (on a cost plus basis) to run the client’s IT department for a pre-determined period. All other staff members, even new hires brought on during our engagement, are employees of the Portfolio Company, and there is no PIP markup on these hires. PIP professional staff responsibilities include staffing and implementing appropriate policies and procedures for a safe and service oriented IT function and hiring the best people rather than the “cheapest people.” Our goal is to make our clients as self-sufficient as possible as fast as possible because outsourcing complete IT operations is not a cost-effective long-term solution.
The end deliverable is a higher performing IT organization which includes the replacement of the PIP leader as quickly as possible. It is a monthly agreement that can be cancelled at any time. During the engagement period, we at PIP work closely with our key person on a daily basis to ensure assignment success.
IT Management Oversight
Portfolio Company management has determined that it needs professional IT management on a part time basis. Rationale varies from Company life stage, the realities of current cash flows or the desire to incorporate supplementary expertise to assist in achieving time-sensitive internal goals. Our experience indicates these companies generally have appointed a smart non-IT trained professional to oversee the department. While they may be quite capable managers, they usually do not have the functional perspective necessary to remain competitive.
In these situations, PIP provides IT Management oversight, where we roll up our sleeves, get our hands dirty, and provide valuable, mutually agreed upon deliverables. Similar to our project oversight services, we are involved a certain number of days per month for a specified period.
Portfolio Company Support Program
Some of the benefits of the PIP Portfolio Company Support Program include:
- Access to our team of seasoned, knowledgeable consultants to provide you and your colleagues with feedback on your IT questions.
- Using our team as a sounding board for your questions to gain some perspective from professionals with decades of IT and C-level experience.
- Bi-monthly newsletter full of useful information on happenings in the IT industry.
For the last 10 years the executives at PIP have worked exclusively for Private Equity firms and their portfolio companies. As experts in understanding the Private Equity marketplace, PIP finds itself uniquely qualified in meeting the recruiting and staffing needs of its clients. PIP works closely with its clients to truly understand the company and its needs, and to provide high quality candidates for recruiting searches.
Searches include: Full-time/Direct Job Placement; Contract Job Assignments; and, Temporary-to-Permanent Placement. Positions filled cover a broad spectrum of positions from senior management appointments, e.g, CIO, CTO and Director appointments to entry level. A partial list of job functions we recruit include: CIO/CTO, Database Administrators and Analysts, Systems and Program Analysts, Systems Integrators and Programmers, Network Administrators and Engineers, Software Developers, Engineers and Testers, Web Developers and Technical Help Desk Support.
PIP Recruitment Differentiators:
- PIP’s detailed understanding of its Private Equity Clients and Portfolio Companies business operations and corporate culture allows PIP to identify the “right” candidates, and to be able to sell highly-demanded talent on the clients’ opportunities and advantages.
- PIP’s low overhead structure provides an extremely competitive fee structure to hire highly-skilled professionals quickly and with minimal disruption to productivity.
- PIP searches come with a unique guarantee. Should the candidate leave the position either voluntarily or for job performance cause within 90 days from the start of employment, PIP will replace the employee. This guarantee is contingent upon PIP receiving full payment for the candidate within 30 days of invoice date.